It was great to see new faces at our Coffee and Cake with PPCV virtual meeting at 10:00 am on Wednesday 18th November.
Claire welcomed everyone and was joined by Helen from PIAS (Plymouth Information Advice and Support for SEND).
Helen introduced herself and explained what PIAS was for and how they could support parents; meeting support, legal advice regarding SEND and EHCPs, signposting, parenting programs. They also run Youth Ascends where young people with SEND give their voice to issues and processes that affect them. All these services can be viewed on their website: https://www.plymouthias.org.uk/ .
Helen confirmed that she (or a representative from PIAS) will be meeting with parents on a regular basis at our Coffee & Cake meetings in the new year, potentially every 6 weeks. This is to provide Q&A sessions or presentations about any subjects that parent carers would like to see/hear about. KR will start to gather ideas from PPCV members and followers via social media.
Ideas shared during this meeting included:
- EHCPs – how to approach the application process as a parent.
- EHCPs – how to apply as a parent/how to present evidence.
- How to get over obstacles (such as finance) when supporting your child in their educational placement.
Claire will organise some dates with Helen and KR will ensure the information is shared via social media and on the website.
SEND & Celebration 2022
KR has started compiling a list of suggestions about speakers and subjects for the SEND & Celebration Conference next year. These were ideas that were shared as a result of a social media post and at the previous Coffee & Cake meeting. In addition, the following ideas were shared today:
- Chris Bonello (Autistic Not Weird) to speak to teenagers about getting through the teenage years.
- Neville Wright. An older gentleman with ASD who sold his business, Kiddicare, to Morrisons for around £70m.
- DIY EHCPs. Supporting parents to apply for assessments for their children when they are not getting support/agreements from schools/placements.
- A presentation from local groups/clubs for people with SEND (such as Routeways) to show what is available in the city. For example, something like the stands in the hall at the Guildhall during the in-person SEND conference pre-pandemic: SEND sports groups. activities, social meet-ups, etc. (Potentially we could ask each group to present 10 mins introducing themselves and showing what is available, who can access it, etc and give contact details.) This could be pre-recorded, but it was suggested that everyone joins the online meeting to present live (and we can record it to put in the members’ area on the website).
10 am on Wednesday 1st December. Everyone is welcome! Hope to see you then.